Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hurry Up and Wait

That is pretty much what the first few hours in a hospital feels like. They ask you to get there early (5:30) then they finally get you to the pre-operation area around 6:30. It was at this moment I asked for the stuff that makes all of the rest of the day bearable. What I like to call “feel good” stuff that makes you and everyone else seem a lot funnier than they really are. Much to my liking the nurse was in total agreement and the good times began to roll. My orthopedic surgeon wanted me to have an epidural rather than a general. All I remembered about epidurals was that when Andrew’s mother had one when he was born she was not a happy camper when they gave it to her. Therefore, I certainly did not want to remember that experience. I will speak about the epidural later in a much lighter context.




The operation took about four hours. The rest of Monday is similar to driving through a dense fog. About all I remember were voices talking to me and me uttering something about there was nothing to this. Both legs were affixed in a CPM, (Continuous Passive Motion) machine. It was like riding a bicycle sitting or in my case lying down. They also had attached to me (and what was not attached to me at this time including most ever orifice) was a device that massaged my legs. How cool was this, laying in bed both legs affixed to a machine getting a rub down from this most beautiful girl…oh, I forgot that was the “feel good” medicine making me think it was this beautiful girl.

1 comment:

Sallianne said...

I know what you mean about the leg massage. I had that 7 years ago when I had surgery. It felt so good. Stupid me didn't realize I had paid for it and didn't take it home.