Monday, March 22, 2010

Day Two "The Great Adventure"

Waking up on day two was a jolt into the real world. I knew then that my decision to undergo the operation was correct, but I also knew that I was in for a lot of hard work. After and outstanding four star hospital breakfast (not) I then began the road back. I spent the first two and a half hours of day two in a larger than normal chair waiting for the physical therapist. I knew this was part of the recovery process but two and a half hours???? DA! Finally, two very nice ladies showed up around 9:00 and instructed me that it was time to get moving. Now on any other day I would have just jump up and moved, being the gentlemen my mother taught me to be, however this was different. What they had in mind was for me to walk. Ok, I said and off we went, from one side of the bed to the other. This seemed like a hundred mile adventure trip but only about ten steps. What I didn’t realize was that they really didn’t expect me to go that far. Nobody with two new knees goes that far. Ok, so I exceed their expectations. I was totally wiped out for the next five hours until John appeared.


John the physical therapist was 6 feet 5 inches and weighted around 280. Needless to say John was a big guy. Now John made it clear that however good I thought the morning session was, he wanted the afternoon session to be even greater. John instructed me that I now had to walk across the room and back. Good news is that ever minute of ever day you get better. The body has a unique way of healing itself and with modern medicine and great meds, it really works. So off I go on my trip across the room. What I did not except nor did John, I made the trip three times. To quote Billie Crystal, “just marvelous.” After our great adventure I immediately returned to bed under John’s advice, and continue my love affair with the scientific side of the medical community. As John pointed out, take advantage of what is available in a controlled environment. Thank you John.

Later in the afternoon two friends, both of which are officials stopped by to check up on me. One had had the same surgery in December. He has been a plethora of good advice and information on what to expect. He also happens to be a Division I men’s official who will return to the court in November. If he can do it, so can I. My other friend happens to be one of my football partners. I think he was not only surprised to see me so up beat but also how much I had been going through prior to the surgery. I really had to rely on modern medicine just to make it through a game. As I always told my friends, Bret Favre had nothing on me. Gene being the good friend he is help me dress. Now don’t get weird on me, he only had to readjust those famously and often desire hospital socks. I am thinking of putting them Ebay and auctioning them off. Good idea or not?

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Lynn, I am so impressed with your progress. Two new knees at the same time! That tells me how much pain you have been in, I suppose for a long time. Keep up the great news on your blog, I will be reading! I changed my blog background this week, just like coloring and playing paperdolls. I even added a slideshow of my quilts, already had a slideshow of Home Sweet Home and pics of the dogs of course!

I knew you were under the influence of drugs when you commented on the 1967 pic!
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Hey Lynn, this is the first time I have looked at this blog, so I am rather clueless about what is happening. But, I do hope you continue to recover and get your legs back as good as Forrest Gump--ha! Take care and blessings on you!
Sue Ann Ellis Wagner